Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Late nights in Europe - RT @gridskipper

Reading this blog post by Gridskipper reminded me of Berlin and Berne. Traveling alone across Europeby train in 2006, with only a garment bag in hand. Went looking for a "hip hangout" as described by Lonely Planet, but sorely disappointed, so I squeezed into a random jampacked club where there was live Latin music. It turned out the band, from Bolivia I think, had an avid German following. The air conditioning was maxed out, so I found a table top by the men's room door. Every time the door opened, a waft of cold air blew up into the air, and we four strangers dancing salsa on the tabletop shouted for joy. I wish I could remember the name, I think it was near the end of Oranienburger Straße. I left the club sometime after 4, with the band still playing, to catch my train to Vienna.

I never meant to get to Berne, but I missed the train to Marseilles, it was raining in Zurich, and I hoped to get free of the rain. It was raining in Berne also, a light mist that didn't dampen the moods of the crowds enjoying free jazz on the streets during their international jazz festival. I arrived after dark, and when it got too chilly I hunkered down in a coffeehouse crowded with steaming damp wool coats. Striking up conversations with the Swiss is pretty easy, and a group of us carried on a conversation in English, French, German and Italian (with translations back and forth) until we were kicked out, at which time, we found a Cuban club serving up mojitos until 6 am.

No comments: