Friday, April 16, 2010

Best and Worst...

Last night our small group gathered mid-hockey game (not yet a Canucks fan, but it is the playoffs) and one topic of discussion was our best and worst of the week. So, on a balmy, sunny Vancouver day I thought I'd share my week's highlights, looking ahead to the weekend!

First, the worst - I saw something I've never seen before in my life...
That's right - I saw red. After 25 years as a player, I received my first dismissal from a soccer match. My sincere apologies to my Tenth teammates for getting their first red card in this inaugural season, and setting such a low example of sportsmanship. I will, however, register my statement that it was the cleanest, nicest possible red card offense. I took the opposing player down gently, and in his own half. However, as I was the last defender and he was on a breakaway, the ref  deemed it appropriate to dismiss me - in the 89th minute! Definitely a weekly low.

The best (public) part of my week was a mini-reunion with some ex-SP staff. It seems we're congregating in BC! A lot of fun to swap war stories, remember mutual acquaintances, and also to meet a few friends-of-friends we'd never run into.  Here's one: Lori is a friend of Mary and Joel, with whom I worked in Indonesia. I've never met Lori, but she's going to the Atlanta wedding of Chris T, with whom I went to elementary school in Guelph, and high school in Kenya. Chris T worked in Haiti with Mel, whose dad works with my Dad in Northern Ontario. You can see how this is fascinating ...

Now on to the weekend - it's time for Spring cleaning, getting out summer clothes, packing away the parkas (which we never needed this winter anyway), and enjoying the sunshine over the mountains.

5 comments:

Mrs P. said...

I can't imagine you ever doing something to earn a red card, but we are all human after all. Did your team win even though you were off the field?

Beth said...

chris i'm shocked! this is ONLY the first time you've got a red card? are you sure??? ;)

Unknown said...

So, we did lose, 2-1, but we were losing when I got ejected. Beth, I may have deserved countless cards, but I'm pretty sure I never got one - you have to go to "court" if you do, and pay a fine, which I would remember.

Anonymous said...

Occasional misdemeanor. O.K, now it makes sense;)

Anonymous said...

Occasional misdemeanor.