Sunday, February 21, 2010

New year, new times

It's funny to be writing a New Year's blog on February 21, but that's how my life goes. Actually, I had given up blogging until my self-described "biggest fan" insisted that one person was reading my blog.



So, a rundown. My NY2010 resolution was to floss more. That lasted until I saw the dentist mid January. We moved to Richmond, and live in the burbs now, rather than the highrise life. Ironically, the commute on the new Canada Line into Vancouver is less detestable than when we took the bus in town.


We're going to Tenth Church on a regular basis, but stopped in at 19th Avenue this morning to visit. It's hard to balance between a small community church that is close and personal, and the anonymity (when desired) of a larger church that has a larger variety of learning and teaching options.

The Olympics are on right now, which has been a but odd. I'm looking across the water at the LiveCity Yaletown venue with throngs of people packed in, and last night we drove past the train stations where people were lined up on the street outside the station for 45 minutes just to get on the escalator to the platform. Yet, tomorrow the commute to work will be the same, the work day will be the same, and being in the Olympic city will have little impact on my life at all. So strange. The only really noticeable difference is the number of Canadian flags on display everywhere.

Finally, many of my colleagues are in Haiti still, or have been over the past month, and it's been an interesting experience watching this one from the sidelines. Consider following Joel Kaiser and the Food for the Hungry team for more insight as to what's happening on the ground.

No comments: