Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Brasil, eu estou vindo!

That's right, in case you hadn't heard, I'm visiting Brazil at the end of this week. I thought I should clear all questions with a specialized Brazil post...

My friend Jordan (some may know), was in Rwanda with Nu-Vision Ministries
and met a Brazilian, Cleia. Cleia invited Jordan to visit her, and Jordan thought I would like to go as well. Of course, I will go anywhere, and a guided tour of a South American country (I've never been to South America) is hard to pass up.It turns out, Cleia's brother is getting married next weekend, exactly when I finished my contract with FH Mozambique, and both Jordan and I are invited!
Unfortunately, after buying a ticket, and going to Maputo to visit the Brazilian Embassy, I was told that I couldn't get a visa in Maputo, only in Toronto. Devasted, I resigned myself to a holiday in Caia (not!) and went back to work. When I was sent to Maputo again, right at the end of my contract time, I decided to call the Brazilian embassy in South Africa, whose staff told me they would get me a visa in 48 hours! So, now I'm in South Africa, just to get a visa to Brazil. I arrived on their last day before moving office, and if it wasn't done that day, they wouldn't be able to start the process until Wednesday, which meant I wouldn't get to the wedding. They actually did the visa in less that 24 hours, which was impressive, and today I am the proud owner of a hard earned, expensive visa.

We are going to Sao Paulo, and details of the itinerary are not yet revealed, as Cleia is planning the week. All I know is that there's a wedding Saturday, and who doesn't like a wedding party, and then we will be 'taken care of' for the rest of the time there! BTW, it's winter now, 12-15 Celsius, so the beaches aren't likely to be packed...

So, expect a post from Brazil some time, but for now, that's the full report.

No comments: