Thursday, March 22, 2007

Caia Calor

Well, for all those of you thinking I'm in a tropical beach resort, justice is now served. I arrived in Caia on Tuesday afternoon, travelling 6 hours north from Beira in a Land Rover Defender, with temperatures in the cab reaching 38 degrees. No shade, and my bag (with sunblock) on the roof, meant a nice burn on my left arm and left side of my face.

Yesterday was my first full day in Caia, and it looks like it will be typical for the next few weeks, so here's my itinerary with Centigrade temps in brackets:

5:30 Alarm goes off, climb out of the mosquito net and have a bucket bath (5 liters if I'm lucky), get dressed in yesterdays clothes and have devotions while the sun comes up(32)
6:30 Brew coffee for the management team (I brought 2 lbs, so we'll see how long that lasts) and share fried egg on a bun breakfast (34)
7:00 Get to office for a quick meeting with our team leader, who is the local staff in charge of all development projects for this district. We touch base each day to clear any relief vs. development issues, and work to streamline.
7:30 Devotions (38)
8:00 Start meetings, which include meeting with donor organizations, other organizations that do similar programs, my staff to coordinate logistics and trouble shoot,meetings with all agencies and the government, the national disaster management team, and with logistic support teams.
12:00 Lunch - Chicken and rice (40)
1:00 Continue meetings, write reports, hike to WFP office for internet access (42)
7:00 Back to the house for another splash bath, change into shorts. The power came on at 6, and will last until 10 (37)
8:00 Eat dinner, ordered at 7, goat and french fries (34)
10:00 Government shuts off the power, and I go to sleep (34)

Today I visited one of our projects, supplying water and latrines to a resettled area, so may be able to provide pictures this afternoon, if all goes well.

That's all for now.

PS Calor is Portugese for hot

No comments: