Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Late night rumblings

Well, sitting in the office at 11 pm, yet to go home, my stomach rumbles started shaking the desk, and then the office floor started rolling, and the door swung open, and I realized we were in the throes of an earthquake.
I've lost my fear of earthquakes, but not the sick in the stomach feeling they cause. This one was a 6.8 (http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsww/Quakes/usmuaw.php) that came in two phases, a rumble and then a shake. It was over in one minute, and I went back to work. At least it didn't wake me from sleep! This morning was my second medical evacuation for another NGO. Samaritan's Purse, in our partnership with Mission Aviation Fellowship, has become the main support for UN and NGO evacuations from Nias, as there is insufficient medical service, and insufficient plane service as well.

The excitement of the early morning ambulance ride, and the late night earthquake have done me in, and I'm going to bed.

No comments: