Sunday, August 01, 2010

Now for a more detailed description of my work in Haiti. For a background, check out my last lazy post, which describes the work in someone else's words. Thanks, Scott, for such a detailed exit report!

So, currently, I am bridging a gap between Scott's departure, and the anticipated hiring of a new project manager. Fortunately, I am aided in this task by the arrival of a new emergency coordinator, Alfred on Friday, to lead our team and be a focal point for national integration. Although we are down here post-earthquake, it is only in support of a commendable World Concern Haiti office, whose programs have been fostering community development for over 20 years. With that in mind, we constantly seek to build the capacity of our national team to handle not only this emergency, but also the next. In addition, we want the communities in which we work to be more resilient and better equipped, so transfer of technology and soft skills is essential. But on to the nitty gritty...


My primary job so far has been observation. Learning about Scott's process in shelter fabrication; watching Jillian coordinate field teams in rubble removal and house repairs; attending coordination meetings, site visits, and donor meetings; understanding local culture, language and common practices - all of these take time each day, in a very passive sort of way. I have really sought to know what's going on where, with whom, for what reason. Later in the week I was able to assist the team in report writing, and some administrative tasks as we made some promotions and adjusted a few job descriptions. Of course, all this was done in average temperatures in the mid-30s daily, with no AC. By sweat loss alone, I should be 10 kg lighter.

On the "home" front, it turns out I am an atypical married man, in that I haven't forgotten how to cook! Partly for morale boosting, and because I actually like it, I took on the task of chief cook and bottle washer for the "Bachelor Pad". David has learned how to make hamburgers and sloppy joe's, and next week we'll learn beef stew and grilled cheese. In advance, I say "Sorry" to his wife, and "You're welcome" to his kids.

While I provided a cultural boost for Scott in his last few days, we can see that Alfred, as a fellow African, has done the same for David since his arrival. Last night we sat around the stew pot, dipping bread, and Scott said, "Here I am with two and a half Africans, but three Gunners." That's right, all three of us support Arsenal! It seems Alfred can cook, so I am happy to share that responsibility.

Yesterday, as a farewell to Scott, a group of us took a trip to a beach hotel, to share the sun, sand, surf and seafood buffet (the conch was particularly enjoyable). The photo below is a link to the album on Picasa.

Finally, this week has really been possible through the grace of God, in providing this new apartment just before I arrived with running water, peace and quiet, and an almost adequate internet connection, so that we can speak to our wives on an almost daily basis. This is what will make the difference in team morale for the weeks to come. Alfred and David are both here until the end of the year, with their families in Africa. Please pray for them, Jillian and I as we move forward as a unified team. In addition, our two assistant managers, James and Vicker, as they try to integrate international program methods with Haitian staff.

No comments: