Saturday, July 24, 2010

Haitian Snapshot

This is my first visit to Haiti, and first time working in the Western hemisphere. As always, my mind instinctively tries to make comparisons, and find similarities to other places, cultures, and economies. Why is it that we always want one thing to be like another? The power of association is so strong!



Truly, Haiti is not really like any place else I have visited. That being said, there are many similarities to a variety of locations. The earthquake damage reminds me of Nias Island, Indonesia, especially the hit and miss nature. Neighbourhoods have some houses totally destroyed, with the house next door fine, even though they are built the same way. This is due to the wave-like nature of earthquake tremors.

The downtown core reminds me of Africa, especially French Africa, with the flashy signs and bright colours, loud music and smiling faces. There is, however, a more prevalent American influence here, in the brands and designs, the music, and the food. This is similar to South East Asia, which has much more American influence than does Africa.

The office and guest house are the same as almost any I've ever been too around the world, a house converted to an office, with staff popping out of rooms all over; not enough chairs in one room with too many in another; and the guest house furnished with classic Mission style, absent of random pieces, like a bathroom mirror (even though there's a toothbrush/razor holder over the sink), and the most fascinating assortment of utensils (who brought the garlic press?).

The beauty of the luscious vegetation is outstanding, and I love being in the presence of tropical flowers again (frangi-pani and hibiscus). If only I could share them with my favourite flower! It seems Laura will be kept busy however, as friends have stepped up to the task of filling her social calendar. Fortunately for me, we can share our schedules on Google calendar, and arrange time to chat about our day.

In addition to blogging general insights and revelations, I will be posting thoughts on development, disaster response, global politics and travel on my other blog, Disaster Traveller. However, for the good parts version of my travels, stay right here!

2 comments:

Mel Giles said...

hey Chris. enjoying the post, and will look forward to reading more.

Anonymous said...

Great observations! You've got me hooked.