Saturday, June 09, 2007

Back in Africa

My return to Mozambique did have one significant event. I returned to Maputo for a week, and had time to get to know better someone I had met before. My new girlfriend, Nilza, is a student in Maputo that I met rather randomly. However, we hit it off really well and enjoy spending time together. While I have been in Maputo, Nilza has been able to show me her city, including nsome nice parks, the best beaches, and the best food. One of these is a small shop right near our Maputo office, that does rotisserie chicken. For those of you that are fans of Swiss Chalet, a spicy quarter chicken with fries (no little bun, but a good salad) and a Coke can be had for $1.50!!! This place happens to be the best tasting and the cheapest.

My new job with FH Mozambique is as a Logistics Advisor, working with the national Logistics team to review existing Operating Procedures, and implement some new/revised ideas. However, this doesn't mean that I'm not available for other tasks, and the first assignment was to bring two new cars from Maputo to Beira. This journey is about 1200 km. I and two mechanics started out early on Wednesday at 5, hoping to beat morning traffic. The drive passes through some beautiful areas of Mozambique, and follows the coast for most of the way. However, due to traffic, delays over fuel and meals, we soon found we were set back, and needed to stay the night in Villanculos, on the way. Unfortunately, 20 minutes before we stopped for the night, the other car hit or was hit by an ox, and we spent half the night with the police, on the side of a dark highway. The next day we limped on with the car, arriving in Beira after a total driving time of more than 30 hours, and a total time of 40. I was not amused. I have soent the last week in the Beira office, staying in the house of the Country Director and laying groundwork for the evaluation.

Next week I will visit all the district offices, including my old stomping ground, Caia, to do a logistic review there. I should be back in Beira around the end of the month. I will not have internet access for the time in the field, but will look for comments when I return.

No comments: