Monday, March 20, 2006

Saturday, March 18

Well, the ship did arrive, but could not get into the harbour, because there were too many other boats in line. Last Thursday the Country Director, Paul Gimson, came from Medan to tour the project. He likes the quality and finish of our houses, but we are so far behind. In honour of his arrival, we had a Housewarming for our new team house. This meant two days of furious labour by our staff: installing water (yeah!!!) for our house (where I’ve lived since the beginning of February), painting the walls, building furniture (I built an entertainment unit), and hiring a caterer. We invited the whole community to come for the ceremony, and almost 100 people showed up. It was not what I expected, as it became much more of a formal ceremony than an open house, but it was a good thing. The pastor of our local church came to give a blessing, the village leaders extended an open door policy to me and the staff, and the women of the community welcomed my female staff in a way I could never impact them. Paul was able to share the vision of SP here, and we committed to working together with our community to impact the greater community of Nias. Paul brought us a digital camera, so I have no excuse for not providing pictures.

No comments: