Sunday, November 06, 2005

Long time coming

So, after much pestering from my parents, I am finally going to send a brief update. It will be brief, because I just booted up when a line formed behind me.

I am based, as I mentioned, in Nias. A map will, I hope, follow this post. I am managing a project to build houses first in Hiliduho subdistrict, followed by Gunung Sitoli subdistrict. GS is the capital and only harbour, so our office/warehouse and house will be there, near the harnbour symbol on the map.

Currently, I am working with no translator, no field assistants, no driver, no warehouse, no office and no house. I have an office manager, Jacqueline Plante from Vancouver, who is working wonders managing an office that doesn't exist, and should have a finance assistant soon, who will be able to help with translation. last week was draining, as I met local government, attended meetings, and designed a survey questionnaire without a translator or a driver. This past week, i have been in medan again, as it is Lebaran, the week of celebration after Ramadan, the Muslim month of fasting. Think of Christmas, New Year and Easter all together, and that was this week. first, every street was a party, then, it was a ghost town. i actually can't leave, because there are no airlines or travel agents open to sell me a ticket back to Nias. i was here to work on translating contracts with benificiaries and building contractors which jacqueline created, so that we can start building as soon as the survey is conducted. i managed to ask the government to do the survey, we'll see what the results are like.

My schedule is getting tighter, as the warehouse/office and house need two more weeks, there are still no project staff hired through HR, and my materials will not arrive until December. Then, I have a commitment for 50 houses before Christmas break, on the 15th.

This is going to be a whirlwind next month or two.

No comments: